It’s that time of year again! Welcome to the season where there’s football on every weekend. Enjoy this time surrounded by family and friends with delicious (and healthy) snacks in your hands and in your belly while you’re cheering on your favorite team. We’re here to help you get the best out of this football season. Whether you’re entertaining a large crowd or it’s a football party of one, here are some awesome snack suggestions that are sure to be a touchdown!
While football season can be the perfect time to chow down on yummy carb-loaded snacks, it’s important that you don’t make the big game a reason to get all bloated with excess fat, sodium and high calorie foods/drinks. It is possible to have great game day treats without completely falling off the fitness wagon.
Check Out These Healthy Snacks!
Since in our opinion, the party snack is just as important as the game itself, we’ve made a list of healthy alternatives to the classic favorites.
- Sweet Potato Fries – Rich in fiber, magnesium, and potassium, sweet potatoes aren’t just tasty, they’re great for your health. For a quick and easy side, slice up your potatoes, toss them in some olive oil with your favorite spices/seasonings and pop them in the oven to bake up nice and crispy. Not only will you be filling your tummy with a delicious treat, but you’ll also be giving your body many reasons to thank you.
- Turkey Burger Sliders – Turkey can be a great alternative to red meat. It’s extremely lean while still remaining juicy and delicious. You can grill up some these patties and top them with your favorite burger toppings. Stick it between a whole wheat bun or go full on protein style and wrap it in lettuce. Yum, we’re getting hungry just thinking about it!
- Spicy Popcorn – Crowds always love this low-calorie, popular snack. It’s fancy and satisfying, and has just the right amount of kick to keep your taste buds awake and focused on the game. Adding a touch of pepper, chili powder, cumin, and other spices turns a classic snack into the ultimate party food. Whether you decide to buy popcorn that’s already been popped or you pop the kernels yourself, you’ll be able to enjoy this delicious and easy savory snack without derailing your fitness goals.
- Rice Krispy Treats – We all deserve a sweet treat every now and then. You’re probably wondering how rice krispy treats can be healthy they’re dairy-free, gluten-free and perfect for vegans. Prepare with your favorite nut butter for a punch of protein, but be mindful of guests with nut allergies. Drizzle or dip in some dark chocolate for a little extra decadence. You can make this treat into different fun shapes and sizes (our favorite are the little football or heart shaped ones), and it’s also a great way to get your kids in the kitchen with you to help.
- Baked Chicken Wings –Chicken wings are a staple during football season. Don’t give up this tasty snack, just adapt it to make it healthy too. Instead of frying the wings in all that grease, bake them in the oven to get that delicious crunchy outside and juicy inside without the added fat. Season or smother your wings with your favorite sauce or spices. Ditch the calories, not the flavor!
- Lighter Jalapeño Popper Dip – De-construct a classic game day appetizer into the main event. This dip pairs great with just about anything. Dip fresh veggies, pita chips, or spread onto some thin baguette slices. Making this with a low fat cream cheese and plain low fat Greek yogurt eliminates calories and fat without compromising on flavor. Throw in some spicy jalapeños and green chilies for a kick and bake it in the oven with a few bread crumbs and cheddar cheese sprinkled on top for that added crunch and richness.
All of these mouthwatering snacks are intended to keep you on track and replace high-calorie snacks usually found during football season. So, whether it’s simply for Monday night football or the highly anticipated Super Bowl, choose the best snacks and drinks to keep you looking and feeling your best.